Ep. 30: Confronting Toxic Yoga Culture w/ Susanna Barkataki
Confronting Toxic Yoga Culture w/ Susanna Barkataki
Do you know the difference between honoring a culture and appropriating it? Why is appropriation such a big deal? I’m diving into these questions with my friend, author and yoga unity activist Susanna Barkataki, whose work focuses on using spiritual & DEI tools to uplift the underrepresented.
Susanna is shining a light on how the Western world is marginalizing yoga (because “Namastay in bed” is NOT okay!), and she’s on a mission to bring yoga back to its roots by confronting the appropriation of its sacred culture. Her book “Embrace Yoga’s Roots: Courageous Ways to Deepen Your Yoga Practice” is just one way she’s taking on toxic yoga culture through education.
In this episode, Susanna is joining me to share the stories & context for why she is passionate about teaching yoga’s origins, how to be creative with your OWN culture for your biz brand, and what y’all can do to STOP appropriating and START appreciating other folks’ traditions & cultures.
Listen now to hear more about:
- How Susanna is taking on the sea of whiteness in the yoga world
- Cultural appropriation as a door to systemic inequities
- The problems with glamorizing yoga
- How puns can escalate into exploitation of BIPOC
- What cultural appreciation ACTUALLY looks like (and what tools you need to be empowered to make the RIGHT choices)
- Why she’s bringing social justice & DEI into her yoga work
- Unpacking decolonization (and why it’s NOT a metaphor)
- How words of social justice are co-opted and misused
- Susanna’s advice for being authentic, avoiding performative action, and aligning your values
- Why it’s EVERYBODY’S responsibility to live the practices of anti-racism and DEI
- And so much more!
Short on time? Check out the show highlights on confronting toxic yoga:
[3:40] White supremacy in Western yoga spaces
[10:00] How words or jokes exploit cultures
[12:20] The glamorization of yoga
[18:10] Building a better business with your OWN culture
[20:30] What you can do to STOP appropriating and START appreciating cultures
[28:20] Unpacking decolonization
[35:00] Susanna’s advice for being authentic & real
[40:00] The collective responsibility to practice DEI & anti-racism
Connect with Susanna Barkataki!
Get her book or a FREE chapter of “Embrace Yoga’s Roots: Courageous Ways to Deepen Your Yoga Practice” here: http://embraceyogasrootsbook.com
India Aid Organizations: https://linktr.ee/susannabarkataki/
Connect with me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trudilebron/